Sunday 20 July 2008

The best evil monster cackle in movies


This is a tough contest. I mean, where do you start? After all, that’s what monsters do. Make horrible noises. They love making horrible noises. They get a kick out of it. So would I if I was a monster. In fact, I’d do it just for laughs. Anyway, think how cathartic all that roaring and screaming would be? So show me a monster that doesn’t make a racket and I’ll show you a wuss monster.

Well, let’s have a go. Alien? No. Alien doesn’t do cackle. It hisses/slurps. The Fly? I think he just disintegrates. The Thing? Depends on which shape he’s currently changing into, but definitely no cackle T-Rex? Er, I don’t think so.

No, there’s really only one candidate. The Predator. Check out the scene where the Predator is crushed by a huge tree stem and Arnie is about kill it when he asks in vintage action movie dialogue; “What the hell are you?!” As the Predator engages its self-destruct mechanism, it lets out a terrific cackle. I mean, you must be able to hear it from miles. It fuckin’ resonates, man.

Of course you could argue it’s not really a cackle, more of a maniacal laugh, but often the two are intertwined. For instance, you might decide to lead with a crazy laugh and subside into a low, gurgling cackle. But now is the not the time to debate the finer points of cackle/laugh definitions.

The Predator is a traditionalist. He goes for the classic cackle. Long, loud and pure pantomime villain.

I howled with laugher and fell off the sofa when I first saw it. I hurt my elbow but it was worth it.

No comments: